Bewdley

 

Anglican:  St Anne.


Situated in the heart of the town at the junction of Load Street and High Street. The exisiting nave and chancel were built between 1745 and 1748 by Woodwards of Chipping Campden, replacing an earlier church of which the 17th century west tower remains. Bewdley prospered in the 18th century as an inland port on the River Severn. St Anne's was a chapelry of Ribbesford before becoming a separate parish in 1853.
The church is open from Tuesday to Saturday, 10am to 4pm. (Ref Parish Website April 2014)
Bewdley St Anne c1909

 An old image of St Anne's c1909

Bewdley Ext March 2009          Bewdley Int March 2009

                                                               St Anne's Church, March 2009.

For other recent (2009) pictures Please Click Here.     (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some other sources:
Bridges, Tim.  Churches of Worcestershire,  2005.
Brooks, Alan and Nikolaus Pevsner.  Buildings of England:  Worcestershire,  2007. 

n.b. Full details of these books are on the Bibliography Page.

Websites:          British History Online:  Entry for Bewdley is very comprehensive.
                           Grade II* Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                           English Heritage List for England:  Please Click Here.
                           Parish Website.
                           A Church Near You.
                           Family History Website.

For Bewdley's Roman Catholic and non-conformist churches see below:


Baptist
Elim Pentecostal
Methodist
Quaker
Roman Catholic

Other nearby churches are:  Kidderminster,  Ribbesford,  Stourport,  Wribbenhall

Please click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                     Page updated November 2016.