Birlingham

 

Anglican: St James the Great


Mostly a Victorian rebuild by Benjamin Ferry in 1871. The 15th century tower remains from an earlier church.
St James is usually open during daylight hours. (Ref Local Information) 

Birlingham Birlingham interior

                                                                                            Birlingham Interior c1905.

Birlingham Ext May 2008.    Birlingham Int May 2008

St James the Great, May 2008. The lychgate is formed from the chancel arch of the original Norman church.

 For other recent pictures Please Click Here.    (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Noake, John. The Rambler in Worcestershire or, Stray Notes on Churches and Congregations.  Volume II:  (1851)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)
Transactions of Worcs Archaeological Society New Series Vol. IX (1932) Vol. XXXV (1958)

 n.b. Full details of these books are on bibliography and sources page

Websites:        British History Online:  Entry for Birlingham
                         Grade II  Listed Building:  Listing details here.
                         English Heritage list for England: Details here.
                         A Church Near You.
                         Family History Website.
                         Village Website.
                         Parish Website.  (Pershore Benefice)

For other local churches please see under  Besford,  Defford,  Eckington,  Pershore

Click on red text for a link.  (External websites open in a new window.)                                    Page updated November 2016.