Bishampton

 

Anglican: St James


A sandstone and lias church.  Only the 15th century tower remains intact from the original church. Frederick Preedy rebuilt the nave and chancel in 1870 reusing some of the ancient fabric.
The church is open daily during daylight hours.  (Ref parish information December 2013.) 

                                                                                                        St James Interior,  c1950.

 Bishampton Ext Feb 2014 Bishampton Int Mar 2008

St James Church Exterior February 2014.                          St James Church Interior March 2008.

For other recent pictures Please Click Here.   (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

 References and some further sources:

Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Noake, John. The Rambler in Worcestershire or, Stray Notes on Churches and Congregations.  Volume II:  (1851)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)

 n.b. Full details of these books are on bibliography and sourcespage

Websites:        British History Online:   Entry for Bishampton
                         Grade II* Listed Building:  Listing details here.
                         English Heritage list for England: click here
                         A Church Near You.
                         Family History Website.
                         Parish Website.

Former Baptist Chapel.


In the centre of the village a former chapel built in 1844.

Bishampton Chapel Feb 2014

Bishampton Chapel, February 2014.

Other nearby churches are:  Abberton,  Evesham,  Pershore,  Throckmorton

Click on red text for a link.  (External Websites open in a new window.)                                  Page updated November 2016.