Castlemorton

 

Anglican: St Gregory


A grey sandstone church with Norman origins and work from later periods. The 14th century tower supports a 17th century spire. The church was restored in 1879 by Ewan Christian.

Castlemorton          castlemorton ext nov 2008

                                                                                                     St Gregory's Church,  November 2008.

For other recent pictures Please Click Here.  (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Noake, John. The Rambler in Worcestershire or, Stray Notes on Churches and Congregations.  Volume III:  (1854) 

 n.b. Full details of these books are on bibliography and sources page.

 Websites:        British History Online:   Entry for Castlemorton.
                          Church Plans Online.   Ground plan by Ewan Christian, c1879.
                          Grade I Listed Building: Listing details here.
                          English Heritage List for England:  Click here.
                          
                          A Church Near You.
                          Family History Website.

Nearby Churches are:   Birtsmorton,  Hollybush,  Longdon,  Welland,  Upton Deanery.

 

 Click on red text for a link.  (External websites will open in a new window.)                     Page updated January 2017.