Churchill Blakedown

 

Anglican: St James

Also known as Churchill-in-Halfshire. A red sandstone church erected in 1868 to the designs of William Jeffrey Hopkins. It replaced a dilapidated medieval structure.

Churchill_Blakedown          Churchill Blakedown Ext May 2009

St James' Church Undated Postcard.                                                    St James Church May 2009.

For other recent pictures Please Click Here.  (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)

 n.b. Full details of these books are on bibliography and sources page.

 Websites:        British History Online:  Entry for Churchill in Halfshire.
                          Grade II Listed Building: Listing details here.
                          A Church Near You.
                          Family History Website.
                          English Heritage List for England: Please Click Here.

 Other nearby churches are:  Blakedown,  Broome,  Clent,  Hagley,  Stourbridge Deanery.  

Please Click Here for more pictures of W J Hopkins' work on Worcestershire Churches.

 Click on red text for a link.   (External websites will open in a new window.)                        Updated January 2017.