Cofton Hackett

 

Anglican: St Michael and All Angels.


A red sandstone church of Norman origin. The exisiting building is mainly from the 14th and 15th centuries.  Restored in 1861 by Henry Day.   (Diocese of Birmingham)

Due to its location St Michael's is usually kept locked. See Parish Website for contact information.

 Cofton_Hackett          Cofton Hackett Ext March 2014

St Michael's from an old undated postcard.                                                  St Michael's, March 2014.

For other recent (2014) pictures Please Click Here.   (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:
Aitken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Noake, John. The Rambler in Worcestershire or, Stray Notes on Churches and Congregations.  Volume II:  (1851)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)
Stanton, George K.. Rambles and researches among Worcestershire churches: with historical notes relating to the several parishes  Volume I: (1884)

 n.b. Full details of these books are on bibliography page.

 Websites:        British History Online: Entry for Cofton Hackett.
                          Grade II* Listed Building:  Listing details here.
                          English Heritage List for England:  Please Click Here.
                          Parish Website for Cofton Hackett and Barnt Green.
                          A Church Near You.
                          Family History Website.

 Other nearby churches are: Alvechurch,  Barnt Green,  Blackwell,  Lickey,  Kings Norton Deanery (Diocese of Birmingham)

Click on red text for a link.  (External websites open in a new window)                             Page updated January 2017.