Dudley

 


On this page you will find "Top Church" and "Bottom Church", the two fine Anglican churches in the Town Centre. For the other Anglican churches in Dudley please follow the links at the foot of this page. 

A drone video of Dudley Priory Ruins by Andy Cortez:

Anglican: St Edmund King and Martyr

 

St Edmunds, known locally as Bottom Church, lies in Castle Street at the north end of the Market Place. The first mention of the church is in a charter of 1180 and it is thought that the medieval church on this site was quite large. It was demolished in 1646 during the Civil War. 
The current church was built in 1724 as a chapel of ease to St Thomas and became a parish church in 1844. The architect is believed to be Thomas Archer who was also responsible for St Philip's (now cathedral) in Birmingham.
The interior was altered and re-ordered several times in the 19th and 20th centuries, including the addition of the galleries. 

dudley st ed ext sept 2015          dudley st ed int sept 2015

                                                 St Edmund, King and Martyr.  September 2015.

For more pictures from 2015:  Please Click Here.                                              (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and other sources:
Bridges, Tim. Churches of The Black Country, Logaston Press, 2008.

Websites:        British History Online:  Entry for Dudley. 
                         Grade II* Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                         Historic England Listing:  Please Click Here.
                         Parish Website.   (Dudley Team MInistry
                         A Church Near You.
                         Family History Website.
                         Church Plans Online:  Seating plan from 1829.

 

Anglican: St Thomas

St Thomas, known locally as Top Church, was built in 1815/18 to replace an earlier medieval building. Standing at the south end of the High Street the tower and spire are a well known local landmark. The architect was William Brooks who used a Perpendicular Gothic style. The spacious interior retains the original galleries on three sides. The east window of the chancel is a striking golden brown depiction of the Ascension by Joseph Blackler of Stourbridge in 1821.
St Thomas is open on Saturdays and Sundays. 

dudley st thomas ext sept 2015          dudley st thomas int sept 2015

                                                               St Thomas and St Luke. September 2015

For more pictures from 2015:  Please Click Here.                                                       (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and other sources:
Bridges, Tim. Churches of The Black Country, Logaston Press, 2008.

Websites:          British History Online:  Entry for Dudley.
                           Grade II* Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                           Historic England Listing:  Please Click Here.
                           Parish Website.  (Dudley Team Ministry)
                           A Church Near You.
                           Family History Website.


Other Anglican Churches in Dudley:

St Augustine of Hippo, Holly Hall

St Barnabas, Russells Hall,

St Francis, Laurel Road

St James the Great, Eve Hill

St John, Kates Hill 

For other nearby churches see:   Dudley Deanery,  Kingswinford Deanery

Please click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                 Page updated October 2017.