Dudley St Augustine of Hippo

 

St Augustine of Hippo, Holly Hall


St Augustine's was built in 1884 to serve the developing Holly Hall and Woodside areas to the west of the town centre. The architect, H. Drinkwater of Oxford, designed a red brick building with a central bellcote. A planned large tower in the south west corner was never built. There are several stained glass windows by the Camms of Smethwick. 


dudley st augustine ext Aug 2016          dudley st augustine int aug 2016

                                                        St Augustine's Church, August 2016

For more pictures:  Please Click Here                                                  (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References:
Bridges, Tim.  The Churches of the Black Country. (Logaston Press, 2008)
Pevsner, Nikolaus. The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, 1974.

Websites:           
                            A Church Near You
                            Family History Website
                            Church Plans Online (1)    Ground Plan 1881
                            Church Plans Online (2)    Proposed west end with tower.

For details of nearby churches:    Return to Dudley Main Page

Please click on red text for a link. External websites will open in a new window.               (Page updated September 2022)