Guarlford

 

Anglican: St Mary


Built in 1843 as a chapel of ease to Malvern. The foundation stone laid by Lady Emily Foley. Designed by Thomas Bellamy of London. There was no church in the village prior to that date.  There is some history on the Parish Website and an excellent account of the church is given in The Guarlford Story (See below for details).

Guarlford ext Feb 2015          guarlford int feb 2015

                                                                    St Mary's Church, February 2015.

For more pictures from 2015:  Please Click Here.        (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

For other recent pictures (2012):   Please Click Here.    (www.flickr.com/porcupine58)

References and some further sources:
Aitken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Hill, Don, ed. The Guarlford Story, Guarlford History Group, (2005)

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography page.

Websites:        British History Online:  Entry for Great Malvern includes references to Guarlford.
                         Grade II Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                         English Heritage List for England: Please Click Here.
                         Parish Website.
                         A Church Near You.
                         Family History Website.
                         

Nearby Anglican churches in this benefice/area:  Callow End,  Madresfield,  Powick,  Great Malvern,   Malvern Deanery

Click on red text for a link.  External website links will open in a new window.                     Updated January 2017.