Headless Cross (Redditch)

 

Anglican: The Bridge Church. (Formerly St Luke's)


Originally constructed in 1843 by Harvey Eginton, the church was enlarged and rebuilt by Frederick Preedy in 1867/68. Preedy's unique internal decoration, especially in the chancel, is well worth a visit. He also designed and produced all the stained glass windows (except one). His Rose Window in the west end of the church is particularly good. Originally installed in 1861 it was restored in 2000 by Norgrove Studios and Aidan McRae Thomson.
St Luke's was renamed The Bridge after amalgamation as a Local Ecumenical Partnership with Headless Cross Methodist Church in 2009. It is located near the bridge in Evesham Road and is open on Thursdays and Fridays between 10am and 12noon. The Bridge Charity Shop and Cafe is also open, in the Memorial Hall, on Thursday and Friday mornings.

                                                               The Bridge Ext March 2009

                                                                     The Bridge Church (St. Luke's) March 2009.

St Luke's with pews. March 2009          The Bridge with chairs.

St Luke's Church with pews, March 2009.                              The Bridge Church, pews replaced by chairs, July 2013.

For pictures taken in 2012 and later, including a full set of the Preedy stained glass windows:   Please Click Here. 

For more pictures, of various dates, Please Click Here.                   (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim.   Churches of Worcestershire,  2005.
Brooks, Alan and Nikolaus Pevsner.  Buildings of England:  Worcestershire,  2007
Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive Worcester, Parish Papers: Headless Cross, Ref. 850

n.b. Full details of these books are on the Bibliography Page. 

Websites:           Grade II Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                            English Heritage List for England:  Please Click Here.
                            Parish Website.
                            A Church Near You.
                            Family History Website.
                            Church Plans Online:  Ground plans for 1844 (Eginton) and 1867 (Preedy)

For more pictures of Eginton's work in Worcestershire:  Please Click Here.
For more pictures of Preedy's architecture in England:  Please Click Here.
For more pictures of Preedy's stained glass in England:  Please Click Here.

Nearby churches are:  Astwood Bank,  Crabbs Cross.  Ipsley,  Redditch,  Webheath,   Bromsgrove Deanery                                                              

Methodist. Headless Cross Methodist Church.

Built in 1897 by Ewan Harper to replace an earlier chapel. The openwork spire is a local landmark. Closed in 2009 due to structural problems and the congregation formed a Local Ecumenical Partnership with St Luke's Anglican Church. The building has now been sold for commercial use.
Update November 2014. A planning application has been submitted for the demolition of the building and development for housing. It is hoped that the spire can be saved and re-erected locally.
(The church was demolished in May 2016, the future of the spire is uncertain. (Feb 2017) 

  HX Meth Ext Sept 2009          HX Meth Int Sept 2009

Headless Cross Methodist Church, September 2009.  Pictures courtesy James Leeson. (www.flickr.com/shutterbug 1990)

Please Click Here for a brief history of Headless Cross Methodist Church.

Primitive Methodist Chapel.

Built in 1867 by Alfred Smallwood. Closed in the late 20th century and was used for some years by the New Testament Church of God. This church closed about 2008 and the building remains empty.
Update November 2014. The building has been sold to a commercial developer and is likely to be demolished. (The building remains standing at Feb 2017)

Prim Meth Chapel Nov 2006

Southcrest Evangelical Church.

A modern evangelical church on Evesham Road.

Southcrest Evangelical Aug 2007

Find a Church:  Southcrest Evangelical Church.

 

 

Please click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new page.                              Page updated February 2017.