Huddington

 

Anglican: St James.


St James dates back to the 12th century and there is work from several later periods. C F Whitcombe completed a major rebuilding and restoration in 1900. The church lies in the grounds of Huddington Court which was closely linked to the Gunpowder Plot. It is usually open during daylight hours.
Huddington          Huddington Jan 2009

Huddington Court and St James' Church. (Undated)                     St James' Church, January 2009.

For other recent (2009) pictures Please Click Here.  (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources;
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Noake, John. The Rambler in Worcestershire or, Stray Notes on Churches and Congregations.  Volume II (1851)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)
Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive Worcester, Parish Papers: Huddington, Ref. 850

n.b. Full details of these books are on the Bibliography Page.

Websites:          British History Online:  Entry for Huddington.
                           Grade I Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                           English Heritage List for England:  Please Click Here.
                           Parish Website. (Bowbrook Group of Parishes)
                           A Church Near You.
                           Family History Website.
                           Church Plans Online:   Ground plan for 1900  (C Ford Whitcombe)

Nearby churches are:  Crowle, Himbleton, Tibberton,  Droitwich Deanery 

Towers and Spires Cycling Tour (PDF)

Please click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                     Page updated July 2017.