Kemerton

 

Anglican: St Nicholas


The west tower is 13th century but the rest of the church was rebuilt between 1844 and 1846 by R C Carpenter. It is very much in the Victorian Tractarian "High Church" tradition and retains its 19th century fittings. Kemerton was transferred from Gloucestershire in 1931, St Nicholas remains in the Diocese of Gloucester. The church is usually open daily. (Local information.)
kemerton_anglican_exterior           kemerton_anglican_interior

St Nicholas Church exterior from undated postcard.                  St Nicholas Church interior, c1907.

Kemerton Ext Sept 2009          Kemerton Int Sept 2009

                                                         St Nicholas Church,  Sept 2009.

For other recent (2009) pictures Please Click Here.    (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)

.b.  Full details of these books can be found on the Bibliography Page. 

Websites:          British History Online:  Entry for Kemerton.
                           Grade II* Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                           English Heritage List for England:  Please Click Here.
                           A Church Near You.
                           Family History Website.

Roman Catholic: St Benet

Built in 1843 by M E Hadfield, together with the adjoining Priest's House.
kemerton_rc

For a recent picture of St Benet's Please Click Here.

Websites:          Grade II Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                           English Heritage List for England:  Please Click Here.
                           Catholic Directory. (Parish Details)

For other Kemerton references, please see under St Nicholas Church.

Please click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                 Page updated April 2014.