Kington

 

Anglican: St James


The nave and chancel date back to the 13th century, the timber framed bell turret is from the 15th century. The church was much restored by W J Hopkins in 1881. St James is open daily from March to August, weekends at other times.  (Ref Parish Website April 2014.)

Kington Int May 2009          Kington Int May 2012

                                                                           St James' Church,  May 2009.

For other recent (2009) pictures Please Click Here.    (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674,
1676, 1684, and 1687
(1986)
Noake, John. The Rambler in Worcestershire or, Stray Notes on Churches and Congregations: Volume III (1854)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)
Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive Worcester, Parish Papers: Kington St James ref. 850

n.b. Full details of thses books are on the Bibliography Page. 

Websites:          British History Online:  Entry for Kington.
                           Grade II* Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                           English Heritage List for England:  Please Click Here.
                           Church Plans Online:  Ground plan of 1880 by W J Hopkins.
                           
Parish Website. (Parish of Inkberrow)
                           A Church Near You.
                           Family History Website.

Nearby churches in this benefice/area:  Cookhill,  Dormston,  Inkberrow,  Evesham.

Please click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                     Page updated April 2014.