Longdon

 

Anglican: St Mary


A church of many periods, with only the 14th century lias stone tower remaining from the medieval building. The spire was added in 1826. The nave was entirely rebuilt in 1786 and is very light and airy. The chancel was extended in 1870 and its interior is much darker, emphasising the differences between churches of the 18th and 19th centuries. St Mary's is usually open during daylight hours. (Ref Parish Website, May 2014) 

Longdon Ext Aug 2013          Longdon Int  Aug 2013

                                                              St Mary's Church,  August 2013.

For other recent (2013) pictures Please Click Here.  (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Noake, John. The Rambler in Worcestershire or, Stray Notes on Churches and Congregations.  Volume III (1854)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)
Transactions of Worcestershire Archaeological Society, New Series Vol. XIV (1937) and Vol. XI (1934)
Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive Worcester, Parish Papers: Longdon, Ref. 850

n.b. Full details of these books can be found on the Bibliography Page. 

Websites:          British History Online:  Entry for Longdon.
                           Grade II* Listed Building:  Listing details Here.
                           English Heritage List for England:  Please Click Here.
                           Parish Website.
                           A Church Near You.
                           Family History Website.

Please click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                        Page updated May 2014.