Malvern Link

 

For non Anglican churches in Malvern Link please see links at the bottom of this page.




Anglican: St Matthias


Malvern Link developed in the mid 19th century following the arrival of the railway. Originally built by Harvey Eginton in 1844, St Matthias was extended by Sir G G Scott in 1858/60. In 1880/82 it was much enlarged by F W Hunt, of London, who added the south west tower in 1899. There is good 19th century stained glass including works by Kempe and also Meyer & Co of Munich.

           St Matthias Church, c1919.

malvern link st m aug 2012          malvern link st m int aug 2012

                                                             St Matthias Church, August 2012.

For more pictures from 2012:  Please Click Here.                (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)


References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire (2000)
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive Worcester, Parish Papers:

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.


Websites:    British History Online:  Entry for Leigh includes Malvern Link.
                    Grade II Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                     English Heritage List for England: Please Click Here.
                     Church Plans Online: Ground plan and elevation of 1843-6 (Eginton)                                                                                                                                      and ground plan of 1880-2 (Hunt).
                     Parish Website.    (Malvern Link with Cowleigh)
                     A Church Near You.
                     Family History Website.

                                                                                                                                                         Entry updated January 2015.

 

Anglican: Church of the Ascension, Somers Park Road


Built in 1903, the architect was Sir Walter Tapper. The church is usually open during daylight hours.

          

                   Interior pictures of The Church of the Ascension from undated postcards.

malvern link asc aug 2012          malvern link asc int aug 2012

                                                        The Church of The Ascension, August 2012.

For more pictures from 2012:  Please Click Here.                      (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)


References and some further sources:
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive Worcester, Parish Papers:

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.

Websites:    British History Online:   Entry for Leigh includes Malvern Link.
                    Grade II Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                    English Heritage List for England: Please Click Here.
                    Parish Website.        (Malvern Link with Cowleigh)
                    A Church Near You.
                    Family History Website.

Nearby Anglical churches in this benefice/area: Cowleigh,  Great Malvern,  West Malvern,  Malvern Wells.

 


Click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new page.                                     Entry updated December 2014.

Other denominations and organisations:
Convent of the Holy Name
Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion
Evangelical Churches
Methodist
United Reformed Church