Malvern Roman Catholic Church

 

Malvern Roman Catholic Church: St Joseph's Newtown Road


Built in 1876 of Malvern stone and in the style of the late 13th century. The original architect was T R Donnelly of Coventry. Following the closure of the Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady and St Edmund in 1996, St Joseph's was enlarged in 1997/8 by the addition of aisles with timber arcades, also a west narthex and parish rooms. The designs were by John D Holmes. (Information from Pevsner, 2007.)

           

                                                   St Joseph's Church from undated post cards.
malvern rc ext apr 2016          malvern rc int apr 2016

                                                              St Joseph's Church, April 2016.

For more pictures from 2016:  Please Click Here.                                               (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)


Sources and references:
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Ellis, Rod  Dissenters All! The story of the non-conformist churches of the Malverns, (2008)
Hurle, Pamela, Malvern Churches in their Historical Context (2002)
Kelly, Directory of Worcestershire (1900)
Noake, John. Worcester Sects: A History of the Roman Catholics and Dissenters of Worcester (1861)
Scarisbrick, J.J (ed), History of the Diocese of Birmingham 1850 - 2000 (2008)
Smith, Brian, , A  History of Malvern Leicester University Press (1964)
Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive Worcester

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.

Websites:          St Joseph's Parish Website.
                           Archdiocese of Birmingham.
                           Family History Website.



Click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                             Page updated April 2016.