Moseley (West Midlands)

 

Anglican: St Mary

A religious building dedicated to St Mary has been at the heart of Moseley for over 600 years.  By 1780 the Chapelry of Moseley was described as a very ancient structure, the middle aisle of which was falling down. The chapel was then widened and the height was raised by about 8 feet.

In 1823, Thomas Rickman(1776–1841) was chosen as the architect to improve the building. This church was about the length of the Nave of the present church. There was no Chancel, but rather an apse for the altar at the East End.  In 1872, the church was extended eastwards by 21 feet to provide the first chancel.

Moseley was originally in Worcestershire. It was transferred to the Diocese of Birmingham in 1905 and became part of the City of Birmingham in 1911. It is included on this website for historical purposes.

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Noake, John. The Rambler in Worcestershire or, Stray Notes on Churches and Congregations.  Volume III (1854)

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.

 Websites:        British History Online:   Entry for KIngs Norton includes Moseley.
                          Family History Website.
                          A Church Near You.

 Click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                                  Page updated November 2014.