Oddingley

 

Anglican: St James


There are records of a church on this site from the 13th century, the present building dates from the 15th century and the tower from the 17th century. The whole was restored in 1851 by R C Hussey. There is 15th century stained glass in the chancel windows.
St James is usually open during daylight hours. (Ref local information Nov 2014.)

exterior circa 1950

                         St James' Church c1950.

Oddingley Ext Nov 2014          Oddingley Int Nov 2014

                                                          St James' Church, November 2014.

For more pictures from 2014: Please Click Here.       (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:

Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Noake, John. The Rambler in Worcestershire or, Stray Notes on Churches and Congregations. Volume II (1851)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)
Stanton, George K.. Rambles and researches among Worcestershire churches: with historical notes relating to the several parishes  Volume I (1884)

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.

Websites:        British History Online:  Entry for Oddingley.
                         Grade II* Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                         English Heritage List for England: Please Click Here.
                         Parish Website: Bowbrook Group of Parishes.
                         A Church Near You.
                         Family History Website.

Towers and Spires Cycling Tour (PDF)

Click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                                  Page updated August 2015.