Pedmore (West Midlands)

 

Anglican: St Peter


The church consists of a chancel with north vestry and organ bay, a nave with north and south aisles, west tower and south porch. The tower is from the 15th century but the rest of the church was rebuilt in 1871 by Frederick Preedy.
There are remains of the medieval church. The arch and tympanum of the south door, dating from the 12th century, together with some fragments preserved in the tower and the Norman chancel arch reset as the entrance to the organ chamber.

St Peter's is not usually open. Contact the Parish Office, details on the church website.

pedmore ext 1904

           St Peter's Church Exterior, c1904.

Pedmore ext 2015          pedmore int 2015

                                                               St Peter's Church, February 2015.

For more pictures from 2015:  Please Click Here.                                (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:
Bridges, Tim.  Churches of the Black Country.
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.

Websites:        British History Online:   Entry for Pedmore (1913)
                         Grade II Listed Buildings:  Listing Details Here.
                         Historic England Listing:  Please Click Here. 
                        St Peter's Church Website.
                        A Church Near You.
                        Family History Website.

Other churches in this area:  Hagley,  Hagley West,  Stourbridge,  WollescoteStourbridge Deanery.

Click on red text for a link. External websites will open in a new window.                            Page updated July 2015.