Pensax

 

Anglican: St James the Great


The nave and tower were built in 1832/33 as a replacement for a medieval church. The building is in the Perpendicular style, the architect was Thomas Jones of Chester. The chancel was added in 1891. Pensax is in the heart of the Wyre Forest and the church, which is usually open during daylight hours, is approached by a grass pathway from the village. The east window is by Christopher Whall, 1899.

pensax Ext Aug 2012          pensax int aug 2012

                                                    St James the Great, August 2012.

For more pictures from 2012:  Please Click Here.                               (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Noake, John. The Rambler in Worcestershire or, Stray Notes on Churches and Congregations. Volume II (1851)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)
Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive Worcester, Parish Papers:

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.

Websites:        British History Online:   Entry for Lindridge includes Pensax.
                         Grade II Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                         English Heritage List for England: Please Click Here.
                         Church Plans Online:Various plans of c1830.
                         Parish Website.  (Teme Valley North)
                         A Church Near You.
                         Family History Website.

 Click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                                Page updated November 2014.