Pershore

 

Anglican: St Andrew


Founded in the 11th century to serve the tenants of land in Pershore which had been taken from Pershore Abbey to endow the foundation of Westminster Abbey. The oldest parts of the building date back to c1170 with rebuilding and enlargements in the 14th and 15th centuries. There was a restoration by Sir George Aston Webb in 1887. Regular worship ceased in the 1940's and the interior was altered for use as a parish centre in 1971. 

                                                                 Pershore, St Andrew, from undated postcards.

pershore st andrew mar 2012          pershore st andrew int mar 2012

                                                              Former church of St Andrew, March 2012.

For more pictures from 2012: Please Click Here.                                          (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Noake, John. The Rambler in Worcestershire or, Stray Notes on Churches and Congregations.  
             Volume
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.

Websites:    British History Online:  Entry for Pershore St Andrew.
                     Grade II* Listed building:  Listing Details Here.
                     English Heritage List for England: Please Click Here.  
                     Family History Website. 

 Please click here for entry for Pershore Abbey.                                                                                 Entry updated January 2015.



Roman Catholic: Holy Redeemer Sts Wulstan and Eadburga

Priest Lane.  Built 1958 - 59 by Bankart of Bath.  In 1908, Mass was said in a  warehouse in the town. By 1912, an iron church from Evesham was moved to a site in Priest Lane.  The present church opened in 1959.  It was specifically designed with the reforms of the Second Vatican Council in mind.

For more interior pictures from 2015: Please Click Here.                                      (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Scarisbrick, J.J. Ed, History of the Diocese of Birmingham 1850 - 2000 (2008)

Holy Redeemer Church Website.
Family History Website.

                                                                                                                                                         Entry updated August 2015.

Baptist Chapel: Broad Street

The first Baptist Meeting House in Pershore was established in Broad Street in 1700. The church of today was built of brick by S W Daukes in 1839/40. The church website has a useful History Section.

References and some further sources:
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Noake, John, Worcester Sects (1861) Click here for the chapter on Baptists.

Worcestershire HER listing details click here
Grade II Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.

Baptist Church Website           
Family History Website.

                                                                                                                                                        Entry updated January 2015.
                                                                                                                                                         

Click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                                  Page updated August 2015.