Redditch

 

For Non Anglican Churches in Redditch Town Centre please see links at the foot of this page.

Anglican: St Stephen


The Cistercian Abbey of Bordesley, just north of Redditch, was founded in the mid 12th century and dissolved in 1539. The ruins have been partly excavated over many years. St Stephen was the dedication of the gatehouse chapel which was on a low rise to the west of the abbey. That chapel served the local community as its church until 1805 when it was taken down, moved and re-erected on a green in the centre of the town. It was known as the "Chapel on the Green" and continued to be used for 50 years as the town grew as an industrial area during the first half of the 19th century.
The current St Stephen's was built in 1854/55 to the designs of Henry Woodyer. It stands in the town centre in the area which continues to be called Church Green. 

      St Stephen's Church from old postcards. Interior c1905.

redditch st stephen ext march 2015          redditch st st int april 2011

 St Stephen's Church,  Exterior March 2015.                                                       Interior April 2011.

For more pictures from various dates:  Please Click Here.                                  (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)


References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire. (2000)
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Noake, John. The Rambler in Worcestershire or, Stray Notes on Churches and Congregations.Volume II (1851)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)
Stanton, George K.. Rambles and researches among Worcestershire churches: with historical notes relating to the several parishes  Volume I (1884)

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.

Websites:    British History Online:  Entry for Tardebigge includes Redditch.
                     Grade II Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                     English Heritage List for England: Please Click Here.
                     Parish Website.
                     A Church Near You.
                     Family History Website.

                                                                                                                                             Entry updated March 2015.

                                                                                                                                       
                                                                                                                                              

Anglican: St George the Martyr


Built by Frederick Preedy in 1876/77 as a chapelry of St Stephen's, Redditch. Located east of the town centre where the 19th century growth of the needle industry was concentrated. Extended by the addition of the north aisle by H R Lloyd in 1899. Became a separate parish in 1905. Following a realignment of local roads during the time of the development of Redditch New Town in the 1970's/80's, congregations declined and St George's eventually closed for public worship in July 2012.

St George's Church. Undated postcard but pre 1904.

redditch st g ext jan 2011          redditch st g int jan 2011

                                                   St George's Church,  January 2011.

For more pictures from various dates:  Please Click Here.                                         (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)


References and some further sources:
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Stanton, George K.. Rambles and researches among Worcestershire churches: with historical notes relating to the several parishes  Volume II (1886)

Full details of these books as above.

Memories of a previous vicar of St Georges (2005):  Please click here.
(Courtesy of Redditch Local History Society. Copyright Anne Bradford)


For a brief history of St George's written in 2010 and updated in 2015 please click here.


Websites:    British History Online:   See above.
                     Grade II Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                     English Heritage List for England: Please Click Here.
                     Church Plans Online: Ground plans 1871 - 76 (Preedy)and 1898 - 99 (Lloyd).
                     Family History Website.

                                                                                                                                      Entry updated July 2015.

Redditch Cemetery Chapel.


In the old Redditch cemetery in Plymouth Road.  Built 1854/55 by W J Hopkins.

redditch cemetery chapel june 2007

       Redditch Cemetery Chapel, June 2007.


Other denominations or groups:  
Roman Catholic
Baptist
Congregational /Independent
Methodist
Religious Society of Friends (Quakers)
Salvation Army
Emmanuel Church/Ecumenical Centre
Elim Pentecostal Church: Oasis Christian Centre

For other churches in the Redditch area please click on Astwood Bank,  Beoley,  Crabbs Cross,  Headless Cross,    Ipsley    and  Webheath.

Click on red text for a link. External websites will open in a new window.                                    Page updated March 2015.