Rochford

 

Anglican: St Michael


A red sandstone church on the banks of the River Teme near Tenbury Wells.  The nave is mainly Norman and the north doorway is Norman with a decorated tympanum. The church was restored by Henry Curzon in 1864/65. The east window stained glass is an early work by William Morris and Edward Burne Jones. St Michael's is usually open during daylight hours. (Ref Parish Website January 2015.)

rochford ext july 2013          rochford int july 2013

                                                               St Michael's Church, July 2013.

For more pictures from 2013:  Please Click Here.                              (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive Worcester, Parish Papers:

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.


Websites:    British History Online:  Entry for Rochford.
                     Grade II* Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                     English Heritage List for England: Please Click Here.
                     Church Plans Online: Curzon's ground plan of 1863 - 5.
                     Parish Website.   (Teme Valley South Churches)
                     A Church Near You.
                     Family History Website.

Click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                                   Page updated January 2015.