South Littleton

 

Anglican: St Michael


St Michael's has Norman origins but is mainly 13th/14th century.The Perpendicular tower was  used as a dovecote in the 16th century.  Rebuilding of the chancel and nave was undertaken by Frederick Preedy in 1883.  The Parish Website has an excellent page on the history of the church with a slide show of photographs.

sth littleton ext aug 2009

            St Michael's Church, August 2009.

For more pictures from 2009:  Please Click Here.                                   (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)
Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive Worcester, Parish Papers:

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.

Websites:         Grade II* Listed Building: Listing Details Here. 
                          English Heritage List for England: Please Click Here.
                          Parish Website.
                          A Church Near You.
                          Family History Website.

Nearby churches in this benefice/area:  Cleeve Prior,  Middle Littleton,  Badsey,  Evesham.


Click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                                   Page updated February 2015.