Stanford on Teme

 

Anglican: St Mary
 

 A replacement for a previous medieval church which was demolished as it stood in the way of a lake and extensive park being created for Sir Edward Winnington of Stanford Court. St Mary's was built in 1768 - 69 to designs by James Rose and stands on a bluff above the village and the River Teme. The church is usually open all day on Sundays. (2012)

stanford ext june 2012          stanford int june 2012

                                                                  St Mary's Church, June 2012.

For more pictures from 2012:  Please Click Here.                                 (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Noake, John. The Rambler in Worcestershire or, Stray Notes on Churches and Congregations.  
             Volume II (1851)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)
Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive Worcester, Parish Papers:

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.

Websites:    British History Online:  Entry for Stanford-on-Teme.
                     Grade II* Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                     English Heritage List for England: Please Click Here.
                     Parish Website.    (Teme Valley South Churches)
                     A Church Near You.
                     Family History Website.


Click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                               Page updated February 2015.