Suckley

 

Anglican: St John the Baptist


A large church of local sandstone, built in 1876/78 by W J Hopkins.  Only the Norman font remains from earlier buildings, the furnishings are by Hopkins and later additions. Stained glass in the chancel is by Kempe. 
Keyholder nearby.  (2010) 

                  

                                                                St John the Baptist from undated postcards.

suckley ext sept 2010          suckley int sept 2010

                                                                    St John the Baptist Church, September 2010.    

For more pictures from 2010:  Please Click Here.                                        (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)           


References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Noake, John. The Rambler in Worcestershire or, Stray Notes on Churches and Congregations.  
             Volume I (1848)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)
Transactions of Worcestershire Archaeological Society, New Series Vol VII (1930)
Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive Worcester, Parish Papers:

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.

Websites:    British History Online:  Entry for Suckley.
                     Grade II Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                     English Heritage List for England: Please Click Here.
                     Church Plans Online: Ground plan of 1876 - 77.
                     Parish Website.  Worcestershire West Rural Team. (Has useful history pages)
                     A Church Near You.
                     Family History Website.

For more work by W J Hopkins in Worcestershire:  Please Click Here.

Nearby churches in this benefice/area are:  Alfrick,  Bransford,  Leigh,  Martley.

The lnk to Martley will take you to a further 9 churches in this benefice.

Click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                                   Page updated February 2015.