West Malvern

 

Anglican: St James


The first church on this site was built in 1841 by Harvey Eginton as a chapel of ease to nearby Mathon, now in Herefordshire. It soon proved to be too small and was demolished in 1870 to make way for this building designed by G E Street. The interior is of a typical 19th century church. St James is open daily during daylight hours. (Ref A Church Near You, January 2015)

           

       St James' Church, undated postcard.                                            St James' Church, 2006.

west malvern ext july 2012          west malvern int july 2012

                                                               St James' Church, July 2012.

For more pictures from 2012:  Please Click Here.                      (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)


References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire. (2000)
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive Worcester, Parish Papers:

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.

Websites:    British History Online:   Entry for Mathon includes West Malvern.
                     Grade II Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                     English Heritage List for England: Please Click Here.
                     Church Plans Online: Follow search links to Malvern West for ground plans of 1839 (Eginton) and 1869 (Street).
                     Church page on Village Website.      (Has some good pictures.)
                     A Church Near You.
                     Family History Website.

Also in this benefice:  Malvern, Link Top,  Holy Trinity.

Nearby Anglican churches:  Cowleigh,  Great Malvern,  Malvern Link,  Malvern Wells.

 


Click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                                  Page updated January 2015.