Whittington

 

Anglican: St Philip and St James


Designed by Worcester architect Abraham Perkins to replace a medieval timber framed chapel, St Philip and St James was consecrated in 1844. According to local information there has been worship on this site since the 9th century.  The interior is little changed from the 19th century including the box pews and a west gallery. Stained glass by Wailes.  The church is open on Thursday afternoons and Saturday mornings. See parish website for details. (Ref March 2015)

        Whittington from an undated postcard.

whittington ext sept 2014          whittington int sept 2014

                                                                 St Philip and St James, September 2014.

For more pictures from 2014:  Please Click Here.                                       (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)
Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive Worcester, Parish Papers:

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.

Websites:    British History Online:  Entry for Worcester St Peter includes Whittington.
                     Grade II Listed Building:  Listed May 2014.
                     English Heritage List for England: Please Click Here.  (Very detailed information)
                     Church Plans Online: Follow search links to Whittington for ground plan of 1840 by Perkins.
                     Parish Website.
                     A Church Near You.
                     Family History Website.


Click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                                  Page updated March 2015.