Wollescote

 

Anglican: St Andrew


Wollescote lies to the east of Stourbridge. St Andrew's was built in 1939 to serve the large housing developments in the area. Originally a chapel of ease to Christ Church, Lye, it became a separate parish church in 1965. From May 2016 it shares a Priest in Charge with nearby St Peter's, Pedmore.



wollescote ext sept 2015

      St Andrew's Church, September 2015.


References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire. (2000)
Bridges, Tim. Churches of The Black Country (2008))
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.

Websites:    British History Online:  Entry for Oldswinford includes Wollescote.
                    A Church Near You
                    Parish Website     (Linked with St Peter's, Pedmore, from May 2016)
                    Family History Website

                    


Independent:  Bethel Chapel


A thriving independent chapel located in the older part of Wollescote. The chapel was built in 1900 although its roots go back to 1880. The Bethel Chapel website has an excellent history page.

bethel ext feb 2015          bethel int feb 2015

                                                       Bethel Chapel, February 2015.

For more pictures from 2015:  Please Click Here.                                                   (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

Bethel Chapel Website

Other churches in this area:  Lye,  Pedmore,  Stourbridge.


Please click on red text for a link. External websites will open in a new window.                     Page updated April 2016.