Wolverley

 

Anglican: St John the Baptist.


The church has a dominant situation overlooking the village. Built of red brick in 1772 to replace a medieval church it was restored in 1882 by Ewan Christian. The interior is light and spacious with a full gallery. St John the Baptist is usually open daily during daylight hours. (Ref A Church Near You, May 2015)

St John the Baptist from undated postcards. Interiors images, one with and one without the chancel screen, which was added in 1907. (Pevsner)

wolverley ext spet 2014          wolverley int sept 2014

                                                  St John the Baptist, September 2014. Chancel screen is still in situ.

For more pictures from 2014:  Please Click Here.                                                  (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References and further sources:
Bridges, Tim.  The Churches of Worcestershire,  2005.
Brooks, Alan and Nikolaus Pevsner:  Buildings of England,  Worcestershire,  2007.

Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page. 

Websites:          British History Online:  Entry for Wolverley.
                           Grade II* Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                           English Heritage List for England:  Please Click Here.
                           Parish Website. (Kidderminster Ismere Team)
                           A Church Near You.
                           Family History Website.


Free Church/Methodist:  Wolverley Mission Church

A replacement for an iron church established by Miss Adeline Hancocks. Now a private house. For the early history of the Mission please click here. (Opens as a Word document)

Please click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                       Page updated May 2015.