Worcester City Roman Catholic

 

St George's Roman Catholic Church, Sansome Place.


The Roman Catholic parish of Worcester dates back to a Jesuit mission founded in 1590. St George's was built in 1828/29, by local architect Henry Rowe, on the site of a previous church. His building was a simple rectangular shape of which the red brick side walls remain. The elaborate facade was probably added in 1887 by S J Nicholl who had also added the chancel in 1880. There was further interior re-modelling in the early 20th century. Edward Elgar was organist here from 1885 to 1888, he succeeded his father, William, who was organist from 1841 to 1885.
The Society of Jesus (Jesuits) served the church for 400 years before handing it to the Archdiocese of Birmingham in 1990. 

Situated on a busy road junction on the north east edge of the city centre, St George's is usually open during daylight hours.

worcs st georges rc may 2015          worcs st georges rc int may 2015   

                                              Worcester, St George's Roman Catholic Church, May 2015.

For more pictures:  Please Click Here.                                       (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)  

References:  
Brooks, Alan and Nikolaus Pevsner: The Buildings of England, Worcestershire, 2007.
Church guide leaflet by Father Brian Doolan.
Worcester Roman Catholic Website (See link below) 

Websites:           Grade II* Listed Building:   Listing Details Here.
                            Historic England Listing:  Please Click Here
                            Worcester Roman Catholic Website
                            Family History Website

Our Lady Queen of Peace Roman Catholic Church, St John's.


The area of St John's lies on the west bank of the River Severn. A Catholic mission church had been established in the 1930's and a parish formed in 1948. Building of a new church was started with a temporary structure in 1953, the current church was completed and dedicated in 1984.
Our Lady Queen of Peace is usually open during daylight hours. 

olqop ext 2016          olqop int 2016

                                                     Roman Catholic Church of Our Lady Queen of Peace, 2015

Worcester Roman Catholic Website

St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Warndon


Warndon is a large modern housing development which lies to the east of Worcester near Junction 6 of the M5. A Roman Catholic parish was established here in 1963 and St Joseph's was built in 1976. Originally it was to be the parish hall but the projected separate church building was never built.

warndon rc april 2015

      St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, 2015.

Worcester Roman Catholic Website

Please click on red text for a link. External websites will open in a new window.                  Page updated January 2017.