Worcester, Ronkswood

 

Worcester, Ronkswood, Holy Trinity and St Matthew


The church of Holy Trinity was built in Shrub Hill by William Jeffrey Hopkins in 1866 to serve the east side of the city centre following the arrival of the railway in 1850. This church was demolished in 1969. The website  The Changing Face of Worcester  has pictures of Holy Trinity Church.

In the 1950's more new housing was developed in the Ronkswood area about 1 mile further east of Shrub Hill and a mission church dedicated to St Matthew was established there in 1952. Following the closure of Holy Trinity a new church was built in Ronkswood in 1964/65 to serve the combined area of the two churches. This church became structurally unstable and was itself demolished in 2015. We understand that a new community church will be incorporated in a further housing development on the Ronkswood site.

ronkswood nov 2014          ronkswood feb 2015

                                                Holy Trinity and St Matthew, Ronkswood

     Closed and awaiting demolition, November, 2014                         Following demolition, February 2015.

References:
Bridges, Tim:  Churches of Worcestershire, Logaston Press, 2005

Websites:          A Church Near You 
                           Family History Website
                         

 Return to City of Worcester Index

Please click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                Page updated November 2016.