Worcester St Andrew

 

Worcester, Deansway, St Andrew


 
The 15th century church of St Andrew was the centre of a small city parish on the east bank of the Severn. The tower and spire are all that remain, the church having been demolished in 1949. In the 19th century the area contained many small business connected to the gloving trade, the landmark spire is known locally as the "Glover's Needle." It sits in a small public garden near the riverbank.


Worcs St Andrew march 2008          Worcs St Andrew may 2015

                      The surviving spire of St Andrew's Church (The Glover's Needle)

References:
Bridges, Tim. The Churches of Worcestershire, 2005.
Brooks, Alan and Nikolaus Pevsner. The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, 2007

Full details of these books can be found on the Bibliography Page 

Websites:          British History Online:  Entry for Worcester Churches includes St Andrew
                           Grade II* Listed Building:  Listing Details Here
                           Historic England Listing:  Please Click Here
                           Family History Website

Return to Worcester Anglican Index

Please click on red text for a link. External websites will open in a new window.                    Page updated June 2016.