Worcester, St Clement

 

Worcester, Henwick Road, St Clement


The original church of St Clement was built on the east side of the River Severn in the north west part of the city centre. There is mention of the church as far back as the 12th century but it was demolished in 1823 following many years of problems caused by flooding. The new church was built in 1816/23 on higher ground on the west bank of the Severn. A commisioners church, designed by Thomas Lee of London, it was built by a Mr Lucy of Worcester. The neo- Norman style was unusual for the early 19th century.  It was extended in the same style in 1879 by Frederick Preedy who also provided the screen and pulpit. 
There is stained glass by Hardmans and by Camms of Smethwick, also a 1951 window by A J Davies of the Bromsgrove Guild.
St Clements is open for a coffee morning every Saturday between 10 and 12.
 

old st clement sketch

A sketch of the old church of St Clement, demolished in 1823.

worcester st clement ext nov 2008          worcester st clement int nov 2008

                                                   St Clement's Church, November 2008

For more pictures of St Clements:  Please Click Here                                    (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References:
Bridges, Tim.  The Churches of Worcestershire, 2005
Brooks, Alan and Nikolaus Pevsner. The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, 2007.

Full details of these and other relevant books are on the Bibliography page 

Websites:          British History Online: Entry for City of Worcester Churches includes St Clement.
                           Grade II Listed Building (1999):  Listing Details Here       
                           Historic England Listing:  Please Click Here
                           Church Website
                           A Church Near You
                           Family History Website

Nearby Churches:  Hallow,  Worcester St David's,  Worcester St John in Bedwardine, Powick

Please click on red text for a link. External websites will open in a new window.                   Page updated August 2016