Worcester, St John in Bedwardine

 

Worcester, St John in Bedwardine


Situated on rising ground to the west of the River Severn, St John's dates back to the 12th century (nave north arcade) but the main part of the building, including the west tower, are 15th century. There was much restoration in the 19th century by A E Perkins (1861) and Ewan Christian (1884).
St Johns lies at the junction of two roads leading west out of the city towards Hereford and Wales. The name Bedwardine is thought to refer to the meadows where livestock drovers would rest their animals before crossing Worcester Bridge to the markets. The parish website has a good history section.

St John's is usually open Monday to Saturday, 10am to 5pm.

worcester st john ext july 2012          worcester st john int april 2012

                                                              St John in Bedwardine, April 2012

For more pictures:    Please Click Here                                                         (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

References:     
Bridges, Tim:  Churches of Worcestershire, 2005
Brooks, Alan and Nikolaus Pevsner: The Buildings of England, Worcestershire, 2007

Further details of these books can be found on the Bibliograhy page. 

Websites:          British History Online:  Entry for St John in Bedwardine
                           Grade II* Listed Building:  Listing Details here
                           Historic England Listing:  Please Click Here
                           Parish Website      
                           A Church Near You
                           Family History Website

Return to Worcester City Churches Index

Please click on red text for a link. External websites will open in a new window.                    Page updated October 2016.