Wordsley

 

Anglican, Holy Trinity


Situated between Amblecote and Kingswinford, Wordsley was at the centre of the glass industry. Holy Trinity was built as a new parish church in 1831 at which time nearby St Mary's, Kingswinford became a chapel-of -ease. (St Mary reverted to parish status in 1846.)  The architect was Lewis Vulliamy. The spacious church lies in a typically large Black Country churchyard.
Within the parish are separate worship centres of St Clare and St Mary & St Francis who meet in local schools.
The civil parish of Wordsley, originally in Staffordshire, became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley in 1974. The ecclesiastical parish was transferred from the Diocese of Lichfield to the Diocese of Worcester in 1994.


wordsley ext          

Holy Trinity Church, Wordsley. Exterior image (C) Dennis Harper, Churches of Britain and Ireland. Interior image from church website.
Both via Google images. If we have infringed your copyright, please let us know.

References:      Bridges, Tim.  Churches of the Black Country, Logaston press, 2008.
                           Pevsner, Nikolaus.  Buildings of England, Staffordshire, 1974.

Websites:          British History Online.  Entry for Wordsley
                           Wikipedia entry for Wordsley
                           Grade II Listed Building:  Listing Details Here
                           Historic England Listing
                           Parish Website
                           A Church Near You
                           Family History Website  (Familysearch.org)

Nearby churches are:   Amblecote,  Kingswinford,  Kingswinford Deanery,  Stourbridge Deanery

Please click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                        Page updated October 2017.