Kyre Wyard


Anglican: St Mary

Kyre Wyard (seat of the Wyards) is also known as Kyre Magna. St Mary’s is situated alongside Kyre Park House to which it is linked by a 19th century wooden cloister. The church dates back to Norman times and the south chapel, which contains traces of medieval wall painting, was added in the 14th century. The timber bell turret is c1700 and the spire probably 19th century.
St Mary’s is usually open during daylight hours. 

Kyre Ext Aug 2013          Kyre Int Aug 2013

                                                                      St Mary’s Church,   August 2013.

For other recent (2013) pictures Please Click Here.    (

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive Worcester, Parish Papers: Kyre Wyard: Ref.850

n.b. Full details of these books are on the Bibliography Page. 

Websites:           British History Online:  Entry for Kyre Wyard.
                            Grade II* Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                            Historic England listing:  Please Click Here.
                            Parish Website.  (Teme Valley South Churches)
                            A Church Near You.
                            Family History Website.

Please click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                     Page updated May 2022