Staunton (Gloucestershire)


Anglican: St James

The church of Saint James was originally a 12th-century building with a short rectangular chancel and aisleless nave, the chancel afterwards being rebuilt and the tower and aisle added in later years. It was heavily restored in 1860, when the chancel was rebuilt and the vestry added.

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Noake, John. The Rambler in Worcestershire or, Stray Notes on Churches and Congregations.  
             Volume III (1854)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)

n.b. Full details of these books are on bibliography and sources page

Websites:    British History Online:
                     Listed buildings:
                     Historic England listing: click here
                     Church Plans Online: Ground plan and elevation 1860 – 61

Page updated May 2022

Click on red text for a link.  To view pictures full size, right click and choose ‘view image’ (this may not be permitted on a public computer)