Anglican: St Mary the Virgin

The present church was built in 1831 to replace a medieval church which had been destroyed by fire. The architect was Willaim Knight. There is a stained glass window in memory of racing driver Peter Collins who died in 1958 and a recent window commemorating the village school which closed in 2007.  Situated on the A448 to the east of Kidderminster, St Mary’s is not usually open other than for services. Contact the parish office for access.

stone ext sept 2014          stone int aug 2014

                                                                       St Mary’s Church, September 2014.

For more images from 2014:  Please Click Here.                                       (

References and some further sources:
Aiken, John. Census of Religious Worship, 1851: The Returns for Worcestershire.
Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Morgan, Paul. Inspections of churches and parsonage houses in the Diocese of Worcester in 1674, 1676, 1684, and 1687 (1986)
Noake, John. The Rambler in Worcestershire or, Stray Notes on Churches and Congregations.  
             Volume III (1854)
Ransome, Mary. The State of the Bishopric of Worcester, 1782-1808  (1968)
Stanton, George K.. Rambles and researches among Worcestershire churches: with historical notes relating to the several parishes  Volume II (1886)
Worcestershire Archive and Archaeology Service, The Hive Worcester, Parish Papers:

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.

Websites:    British History Online:   Entry for Stone.
                     Grade II Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.
                     A Church Near You.
                     Family History Website.


Click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                                   Page updated May 2022