Anglican: St Philip

Situated on the western edge of Redditch, St Philip’s was built by Frederick Preedy in 1869/70 to cater for the growth of the area due to the succesful local needle industry. There are original fittings by Preedy including the font and an Italian marble reredos. The east window is also by Preedy (1870), one other window is by Capronnier of Brussels (1871). There is also Capronnier work locally at The Bridge Church (St Luke’s), Headless Cross, and St Stephen’s, Redditch Town Centre.

webheath ext undated

    St Philip’s Church from old undated postcard.

st philips ext oct 2007          webheath int march 2016

        St Philip’s Church, exterior, October 2007.                                St Philip’s Church, interior, March 2016.

For more pictures from various dates:  Please Click Here.                               (www.flickr.com/tudorbarlow)

 References and some further sources

Bridges, Tim. Churches of Worcestershire (2005)
Brooks, Alan, and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Worcestershire  (2007)
Atkins, Elizabeth, A History of Webheath (2009)

n.b. Full details of these books are on the bibliography and sources page.

Websites:        British History Online:  Entry for Tardebigge includes Webheath.
                         Grade II Listed Building:  Listing Details Here.  (Listed 2011)
                         Historic England Listing: Please Click Here.
                         Church Plans Online:  Website not available (August 2015).
                         Parish Website.
                         A Church Near You.
                         Family History Website.

For more pictures of Preedy’s architectural work:  Please Click Here.

For more pictures of Preedy’s stained glass (throughout England):  Please Click Here.

Other churches in this area:  Beoley,  Headless Cross,  Redditch,  Tardebigge.

Click on red text for a link.  External websites will open in a new window.                            Page updated May 2022




An entry in Kelly’s Directory for 1900 records a Baptist chapel, seating 120 worshippers.  The building is now believed to be in use by the Christadelphian church.